Saturday 9 November 2013

Ancillary Text Ideas

A promotion package for the release of an album, to include a music promo video, together with two of the following three options: 

- a cover for its release as part of a digipak (CD/DVD package)

- a magazine advertisement for the digipak (CD/DVD package) 



CD Cover Inspiration:


Ariana Grande's album cover for Yours Truly, gave me some inspiration for my ancillary text CD cover. I think the cover reflects parts of my song and artist, with the vignette of darkness around Ariana, which I could incorporate into my own CD cover. Although the genre for Ariana's album is different from my chosen artist, it still reflects a look I would recreate to portray my own music video in that way. I think having the main artist and album name at the top of the cover works effectively, showing the audience who it is straight away. I also think this album cover shows simplicity with not many main colours used, emphasizing the artist in a light that doesn't overcrowd or smother the photograph. I love this artwork and will consider it for my own.

Another single artwork has inspired ideas for my own was Haim's single Falling, which showed the band moving from a store, almost running. This artwork showed a similar idea from the majority of my own video, where the main character is seen to 'escape' and I could recreate this idea into the artwork. I also like how Haim's artwork is in black and white adding an effective simplicity to the cover. Having the band logo covering the top of the cover in bold gives away the band and single name just by glancing at it, and also having the single in colour and a different font makes it stand out.


The artwork for Lana Del Rey's single Off To The Races, inspires some ideas for my own ancillary text because I like the way the artist is singled out within the image. It draws the attention to the artist and is an effective simple shot. Having the title and artist name in bold, white makes the text stand out and shows the audience who it is. I like the way the artist is wearing a simple costume, with the dress matching the text colour. The background is also a contrast against the white, making the artist stand out even more. With my own music video idea in mind, I think this artwork idea would be good to use. 






The album cover for Bastille's Bad Blood, is an idea I would progress further because it is an effective image, showing connotations of my own music video idea. The image shows a vignette of dark around the road, suggesting it is made to look like a headlight of a car and the person featured within the image is running away from the source. This would be a successful ancillary text image that inspires my own idea because it reflects my video idea strongly. The text is all in white, with the band and album name significantly larger and shown in bold making it stand out. The cover is in the style of a film front with small print credits often seen on a DVD cover with the appropriate logos used in the corners. This is an effective style because it suggests to the audience that the album is presented in a film style and shows a story throughout the different 
songs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment